Thursday 30 January 2014

Kat's Krazy Sleep Out

This year I wanted to do something a bit different for a local charity. Something that will challenge me as well as raise money for a good cause. I have wanted to help the homeless in our area for a while but until now, I haven't felt in a position to for one reason or another. Having looked online, there is a charity that help the homeless in Bath called Julian House. Bath is only half an hour from me so I decided to look into different ways I could help. There are several things that I'd like to help with and the first is The Big Bath Sleep Out.


Yes, that's right. I am going to sleep out in the park with no shelter other than my sleeping bag and a ground sheet. Did I mention it is happening on the 7th March?! Cold? You could say that!
My wonderful friend and blogging buddy Hannah the CupcakeMumma is travelling up from Cornwall to sleep out too. She is well known for her kind heart and generosity, taking part in Project Kindness and supporting local food banks. I couldn't ask for better company on what looks to be a long, cold night. Hannah has a Just Giving page which you can find HERE.

There are people who don't have that choice. Can't just sleep out for a night and go home if they don't like it. They have no home. Imagine that for a second. No home. All of a sudden, that word means more than just bricks and mortar doesn't it. Nowhere to go, no one to turn to, no security. Just endless uncertainty and loneliness.

At Julian House, there is accommodation for 29 people in their night shelter. Maybe more in extreme weather conditions. Having read on their website, they are full tonight, with 30 people in.
They run a scheme called NSNO (no second night out) which is in it's second year. Since being allocated funding for this projected Julian House has ensured that no women have needed to spend a second night on the streets of Bath. Joint funding from the Avon and Somerset Rough Sleepers Group has enabled them to help individuals with personal items such as a birth certificate for ID or a pair of shoes.

I am also hoping to volunteer with Julian House. There are a variety of opportunities to help, whether it is in the kitchen of the direct access hostel, in the kitchen or garden of  the residential supported housing, helping in the charity shops or helping to run courses. I am really looking forward to volunteering with them.

Please help us raise awareness of Julian House and their great work by sharing this post where ever you can. It would also be great if you could spare a pound or two to sponsor us. We are hoping to raise £100 each. Thank you so much for your support, you're amazing! x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!