Thursday 30 January 2014

Gifts from China - Happy New Year!

I have been a member of Postcrossing for over a year now. If you haven't heard of it before, it is an international postcard swap site. I love it and have received loads of wonderful cards and made a few pen pals through it. Last year I had a message asking if I could send some Dr Who 50th Anniversary stamps to a lady in China who was a real fan. I got her a set of stamps and also sent the Official Annual for that year too. I hadn't swapped with her before so wasn't sure if I would hear back from her. I received a parcel in the post this morning that made my day!


Here is what was in my parcel. Unfortunately, there was no note so I'm not sure what the symbols mean. 

I would imagine these are for Health, Wealth and Happiness
Chinese Knots are a symbol of traditional auspicious decoration.
This is a "Red Pocket" Children receive money in them during Spring Holiday
This lovely book has all 12 signs of the Chinese year. The animal is cut from a sheet of paper and mounted on plastic.
These scenic postcards are wonderful too. I love the oriental styles.
These are postcards of her hometown Suzhan, a city near Shanghai.
This is a close up of part of the banners she made for me. On the bottom of the picture is a dragon and on the top is an eagle or maybe a Phoenix. 
This is one of the two banners. I would love to know what all the symbols mean. 
I am so touched with my package. The banners are home made by her Uncle as the ink has come through the paper. To me that makes them even more special, that someone has gone to the trouble of making them for me. I can't wait to get into our new house and have our own little Chinese New Year Celebration!

One thing I am sad about is the lady who sent them to me didn't leave a name on her notes so I have no way of thanking her. I carelessly deleted her email after posting the stamps to her or I certainly would have written to thank her! I am hoping she may email to see if the parcel arrived so I can thank her then.

Xin Nian Kuai Le! 
or
Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely parcel to receive! I always try to get into postcrossing but I'm totally useless at sending things off, seeing the lovely things you receive after sending gifts off make me want to try it again!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally cool! And brave... as like Forest Gump says... you never know what you're gonna get.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I would love to know who comes too visit, thanking you muchly!